Thursday 20 May 2010

I Get Knocked Down...

The Single Life is fraught with rejection, but this doesn't stop when/if you get married, alas. There are lots of rejections waiting for you--especially if you aspire to a profession in the Fine Arts.

For example, I just got a rejection letter this morning. I cannot remember how many times this particular manuscript has been turned down. Four or five times, I think. Maybe six. However, tomorrow I will send it right back out again, for it is a good novel and an independent third party literary-type person (not a friend) was enthusiastic about it.

That is what the writer's life is like. You get knocked down, and you get up again. Down and up. Down and up. That's what a Christian life is like, too, incidentally. You sin. You go to Confession and try again. You sin. You go to Confession and try again. There may be a reason why we church-going Catholics call ourselves practising Catholics. Maybe some day we'll get it right.

And maybe someone with a printing press and a PR pro will get enthusiastic about my lovely novel. So tomorrow I try again.

Update: Ooh! Today the Holy Father #3, and I am #5 on amazon.uk.co's hot Catholic future books list.

4 comments:

Mark said...

You're not just available for Pre-Order on Amazon.co.uk, for I received my copy today! :D

Seraphic said...

Oh, how exciting!

Liesel said...

No 5! And only 2 spots below the Pope. (Does that place you at Archbishop level?)Received my shiny copy of your book last week. Great to actually hold a real live copy in my hands! Am loving it so far. Wise advice with laugh out loud humour scattered liberally in between. Those publishers clearly don't know a good thing when it falls in their laps.

theobromophile said...

The Single Life is fraught with rejection, but this doesn't stop when/if you get married, alas.

Oh, but the ideal is that you at least have someone upon whose shoulder you may cry when rejected.

Likewise, when there is a cause to celebrate as a Single, Singles celebrate with their parents.